Last edited by Mijora
Tuesday, July 21, 2020 | History

2 edition of Excavations on the site of Launceston Priory. found in the catalog.

Excavations on the site of Launceston Priory.

Otho Bathurst Peter

Excavations on the site of Launceston Priory.

by Otho Bathurst Peter

  • 17 Want to read
  • 9 Currently reading

Published by Journal of the Royal Institution of Cornwall in Truro .
Written in English


Edition Notes

Reprinted From: No.38 Journal of the Royal Institution of Cornwall, 1892.

Other titlesJournal of the Royal Institution of Cornwall, No.38, 1892.
The Physical Object
Pagination6p.,1fold p.lan :
ID Numbers
Open LibraryOL18351303M

The site of a possible moat, a wide ditch usually surrounding a building, at Thelsford Priory. Excavation has uncovered its design and extent. It is situated m south west of Theslford Bridge, Charlecote. Site of Hunscote Deserted Medieval Settlement. The possible site of . Thomas Hext father of Digory, George, and Thomas, a successful and wealthy merchant was tenant of the lands of Launceston priory, of which the borough of Newport formed a part, was an alderman and Mayor five times. In , , , and He was mayor in when the town was granted its new charter.

The Priory of England was centred at Clerkenwell, London, where the surviving medieval crypt and Tudor gatehouse are well-known landmarks. Several large-scale excavations by the Museum of London in the s and 90s have been combined with antiquarian surveys in this monograph to produce a remarkable picture of a priory. Mount Grace Priory is one of the most thoroughly researched charterhouses in Europe, and has been for many years the type-site (model) for the Carthusian order’s medieval buildings. First excavated between and , it was also the subject of major excavations by Laurence Keen in –74 and Glyn Coppack in –

ation were recovered during the excavations that took place at Launceston Castle prior to During this period a bag numbering system was used and the fragments marked in ink with the bag number, which was usually placed within a square, as well as the site . Launceston Library is now able to offer book services again by welcoming you at the door (but not any further just yet). If you’ve been longing for a real book in your lap; order your books online, then come to collect them from the lobby from 7th July


Share this book
You might also like
Geologic interpretation of aeromagnetic map of the Glacier Peak Wilderness and vicinity, North Cascades, Washington

Geologic interpretation of aeromagnetic map of the Glacier Peak Wilderness and vicinity, North Cascades, Washington

James Carroll.

James Carroll.

The Lower Niger and its tribes.

The Lower Niger and its tribes.

Fire call: Cork Fire Brigade centenary review, 1877-1977

Fire call: Cork Fire Brigade centenary review, 1877-1977

Fire assaying

Fire assaying

Who stole Captain Porkers treasure?

Who stole Captain Porkers treasure?

NAFTA works

NAFTA works

Philippine foreign policy

Philippine foreign policy

Contemporary African literature

Contemporary African literature

Proceedings of ACM SIGPLAN/SIGIR Interface Meeting

Proceedings of ACM SIGPLAN/SIGIR Interface Meeting

Sir Phillip Stapleton his worthy speech in the House of Commons in Parliament, Ian. 15, 1641

Sir Phillip Stapleton his worthy speech in the House of Commons in Parliament, Ian. 15, 1641

communion

communion

2000 Import and Export Market for Sewing Machines, Furniture and Equipment in Guatemala

2000 Import and Export Market for Sewing Machines, Furniture and Equipment in Guatemala

Excavations on the site of Launceston Priory by Otho Bathurst Peter Download PDF EPUB FB2

We welcome you to the website of the Friends of Launceston Priory; Kowetha Priorji Lanstefan. The Priory was lost for hundreds of years. Launceston’s Mediaeval Priory was rediscovered in the ’s when workmen were constructing the new railway line through Launceston for the London and South Western Railway.

The Priory ruins we see today are all that remain of the original. With the site now consolidated, it is now cared for by the Friends of Launceston Priory in partnership with Launceston Town Council.

Above 13thth Century Floor Tile found at Launceston Priory. Above Plan of the Floor tiles drawn by Otho Peter. The Priory’s position on the modern day map.

The history of Launceston Priory goes back to at least the early 10th century. Around the year ADthe first priory was established at St Stephen's, near the castle and the present parish church of St Mary Magdalene. The priory was administered by secular priests, but in the midth century, Bishop Lefric petitioned the Pope for permission to replace the secular canons with 'regular.

The Priory was founded in as a house of Augustinian canons, dedicated to St. Stephen the Proto-Martyr and consecrated in In the mid ’s, Launceston Priory was the wealthiest and largest religious house in Cornwall. Monastic life came to an abrupt end on 24th February during the dissolution of the monasteries.

The [ ]. A detailed report on excavations carried out at the site of St Gregory's Priory that revealed two major ecclesiastical buildings.

The earliest church, founded by Archbishop Lanfranc in AD became a priory in ; it was rebuilt after a great fire inprobably under the patronage of Archbishop Theobald, and was eventually dissolved in From the Cornish and Devon Post February 23rd The following gifts, loans and purchases have lately been added to the museum: a bronze axe-head or celt, found at Hingston Down, from Mr.

Baker Launceston; specimens of fossils, excavated at Southampton Docks, inand specimens of Jersey granite, from the president; an old Launceston yarn account book, from Mr W Cater; two oil paintings.

Prior John Sheyr accepted royal supremacy over Launceston Priory and on 24th February a royal commissioner, John Tregonwell, arrived to dissolve the priory. The prior and the 12 canons were given pensions, the gold and silver plate and other treasures were sent to the king and the site was leased to John Carew of London.

Religious men with green fingers Excavations begun in the s revealed many long-hidden secrets of this ruined priory on the banks of the River Cleddau just outside Haverfordwest’s town walls.

It was probably founded for Augustinian canons in the late 12th or early 13th centuries, and parts of the church (including the site of the high altar), chapter house and cloister can be seen.

This business servicing Launceston Council is a local SME in the Excavation & Earthmoving Contractors category. At Danny Shields we offer a wide range of services to suit all aspect of excavating and earthmoving from demolition to site cuts, trenching and footings. This business servicing Launceston Region is a local SME in the Excavation & Earthmoving Contractors category.

At Danny Shields we offer a wide range of services to suit all aspect of excavating and earthmoving from demolition to site cuts, trenching and footings. We pride ourselves on our high level of customer service and our professional. Books and journals Peter, OB, Launceston Priory, () Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire: The Cotswolds, () Legal This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Edinburgh: excavations reveal possible site of Carmelite priory Jul 28th, Archaeologists believe they may have located the site of the medieval Carmelite priory in Edinburgh, following the discovery of two human skeletons by workers preparing track for a new tram line in the Scottish capital.

Launceston Priory was a priory at Newport, Launceston, Cornwall, England, UK. The priory was founded by William Warelwast, Bishop of Exeter as a house of Augustinian charter replaced an earlier foundation of secular canons at St Stephens, a collegiate church dating back to c.

In c. the priory completed a move from its original site near the castle to a new site. Malcolm Lyne in his book "Lewes Priory, Excavations by Richard Lewis " gives a summary of the excavations on the site over the years.

during the cutting of the railway through the site. Report by Lower (). John Blaker. Findings not published. Site 2 was in use from the late Saxon period to the 20th century. This publication presents the results of excavations carried out at Site 1 from andand from Site 2 from and '95, along with those obtained from a watching brief, kept during landscaping work in There are also specific chapters on finds and burials.

When the railway came to Launceston in the 's, workmen found the Priory foundations. An archaeological investigation was undertken in the late C19th and now the Priory is a Scheduled Monument.

Ina geophysical survey was conducted of Priory Park. The park was part of land owned by the Priory and a possible building was identified. SX PRIORY ROAD /3/ Guide post at junction of Priory Road and Launceston Road II Guide post. Probably early C Triangular-on-plan granite monolith with pyramidal cap with 2 inscribed sides: LANSON and LISKEARD.

In proposed redevelopment of the site of the Priory of Lesmahagow, founded inwas mooted and the Clydesdale District Council permitted its excavation. This revealed the foundations of the cloister garth and walks, the south range including the complete lay-out of the refectory, almost the full extent of the west range and part of the.

Buy Excavations at Portchester Castle, Vol III Books online at best prices in India by Barry Cunliffe from Buy Excavations at Portchester Castle, Vol III online of India’s Largest Online Book Store, Only Genuine Products.

Lowest price and Replacement Guarantee. Cash On Delivery Available. Buy Excavations at the Priory and Hospital of St Mary Spital, London (MoLAS Monograph) by Thomas, Christopher, Sloane, Barney, Phillpotts, Christopher (ISBN: ) from Amazon's Book Store.

Everyday low prices and free delivery on eligible : Christopher Thomas, Barney Sloane, Christopher Phillpotts. Launceston Castle was also used as the base for the Cornish Royalist defence of the county. You can explore the long history of the castle in a display which traces 1, years, with finds from site excavations.The monument includes the central area of the church and some ancillary buildings forming part of Launceston Priory, situated on the north side of Launceston, to the south of the River Kensey.

Parts of the Priory church and buildings survive as low walls, up to m high, which formed part of the tower and choir and the east end of a chapel.A detailed report on excavations carried out at the site of St Gregory's Priory that revealed two major ecclesiastical buildings.

Rating: (not yet rated) 0 with reviews - Be the first.